24/7 call, text and chat
The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline) offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress. People can also dial 988 if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.
211 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website and can be accessed by phone or computer. A tollfree call to 211 connects you to a community resource who can put you in touch with local organizations that provide critical services that can improve—and save—lives.
You will find information about:
- supplemental food and nutrition programs
- shelter and housing options and utilities assistance
- emergency information and disaster relief
- employment and education opportunities
- services for veterans
- health care, vaccination and health epidemic information
- addiction prevention and rehabilitation programs
- reentry help for ex-offenders
- support groups for individuals with mental illnesses or special needs
- a safe, confidential path out of physical and/or emotional domestic abuse
Teen Line Hotline
Call (800) 852-8336
Text “TEEN” to 839-863 between 6:00pm-9:00pm
Do you need help working something out? Do you want to talk to someone who understands, like another teen? We are here to help! If you have a problem or just want to talk with another teen who understands, then this is the right place for you! Call, Text, or Email.
California Youth Crisis Line
(800) 843-5200 (24/7)
A statewide emergency response system for youth (ages 12-24) and families in crisis.
Crisis intervention counseling and resource referrals to service providers in the caller’s local community.
Thoughts of suicide, depression, bullying, health and identity questions, trauma, human trafficking or any teen-related struggle are discussed with a crisis counselor in confidence and without judgment. We do not provide advice. We listen with compassion. If you or someone you know is experiencing any type of teen-related struggle or crisis, please call. Translation services are available for multiple languages
Eating Disorder Referral Service
Monday-Thursday from 9AM to 9PM ET, and Friday from 9AM to 5PM ET
Supports individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and serves as a catalyst for prevention, cures and access to quality care.
National Runaway Safeline
TEXT 66008 (24/7)
Crisis services for runaway and homeless youth, youth who are thinking about running away or are in crisis, parents of youth that have run from home and parents who are struggling with their child. Help to work through problems and find local help through social service agencies
The Feeding America nationwide network of food banks secures and distributes through food pantries and meal programs Contact your local community food bank to find food or read about public assistance programs.
Homeless Shelter Directory
Provides listings for the following:
- Homeless Shelters Homeless Service Organizations
- Monetary Assistance
- Transitional Housing
- Free Clinics (Dental and Medical)
- Low Cost and Free Treatment Centers
- Outreach Centers
- Day Shelters
- Relief Organizations that can help the needy
- Women’s Shelters and Battered Women’s Services
- Food Pantries, Soup Kitchens, Food Bank
LGBT Youth Talkline
Monday thru Friday from 1pm to 9pm, Saturday from 9am to 2pm
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Youth Talkline provides telephone, online private one-to-one chat and email peer-support. All services are free and confidential. We speak with teens and young adults up to age 25 about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, parent issues, school problems, HIV/AIDS anxiety and safer-sex information, and lots more!
Poison Control Center
Poison Control is available 24 hours a day to provide free, expert and confidential guidance in a poison emergency. When you call, a poison specialist will ask you questions to determine the severity of your case, then provide recommendations.
Trevor Project Crisis Intervention and Prevention Resources (24/7)
Call: (866) 488-7386
Text: Text START to 678678
Provides support, crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. Free and confidential services include: Trevor Lifeline – a national hotline. Whether the caller is in crisis, suicidal or just needing someone to talk to, trained counselors are available to provide support seven days a week, 24-hours a day.
Human Trafficking Hotline
Call: (888) 373-7888
Text: “HELP” or “INFO” to 233-733 (24/7)
Contact the hotline if you or someone you know:
- Is being forced to have sex for money or something of value against his or her will.
- Is under 18 and engaging in commercial sex.
- Is being forced to work or perform services against his or her will.
Sexual Assault Hotline
(800) 656-4673 (24/7)
Calling the National Sexual Assault Hotline gives you access to a range of free services including:
- Confidential support from a trained staff member
- Support finding a local health facility that is trained to care for survivors of sexual assault and offers services like sexual assault forensic exams
- Someone to help you talk through what happened
- Local resources that can assist with your next steps toward healing and recovery
- Referrals for long term support in your area
- Information about the laws in your community
- Basic information about medical concerns
- Most private health care plans (e.g.: Kaiser, Blue Cross, Health Net, etc.) and Medi-Cal offer mental health care and/or cover mental health services as covered benefits.
- Any other mental health resource in your area.